Everyone would certainly like to have a one-of-a-kind floor lamp or simply stand out from the crowd and not have an off-the-peg floor lamp. Simply build your own lighting.
What you need:
- 8 wooden discs, 12 cm in diameter and 1 cm thick
- 1 old floor lamp
- 1 lamp socket
- 1 energy saving lamp
- 3 threaded rods and 3 matching cap nuts
- CDs, number as desired
- wood glue and hot glue
If you have had enough of your old floor lamp or simply want to have an individual floor lamp in the living area, you can build it yourself with few resources.
How to build a CD lamp
- First measure how high the lamp socket of your existing floor lamp is and saw the corresponding number of wooden discs.
- Then measure the diameter of the lamp socket and saw the corresponding holes in the middle of all the wooden discs.
- Now glue the discs together and let them dry.
- After drying, remove the adhesive residue with sandpaper and paint the wooden discs with a color of your choice.
- While the glue is drying in your wooden base, saw out the middle parts of the CDs so that the energy-saving lamp also has space afterwards.
- Now drill 3 holes in each of the CDs (always the same distance apart, of course), through which the threaded rods will later be fed.
- Once your wooden base has dried, drill holes corresponding to the holes in the CDs.
- Now glue the threaded rods with hot glue in the wooden base.
- Once this glue has dried, you can place the CDs on the threaded rods and fix them with the cap nuts.
- Now all you have to do is place your construction on the existing lamp.
Next ideas for the design of a floor lamp
- Look around in the household or at flea markets.
- Depending on the size of your floor lamp, you can also put on other lampshades.
- For example, an old kitchen grater that you place upside down on the floor lamp is suitable as a lampshade.
- You can also replace an old fabric from the existing lampshade with new fabric.
- You can also wrap the frame of the lampshade with wire and add seasonal decorations.
- You can achieve a great effect if you use colored lamps.
With imagination and a little craftsmanship, you can build your floor lamp according to your ideas and don’t even have to invest a lot of money in a new one.